Dental technology has come a long way since the days of extractions without Novocain, and replacing missing teeth with dentures that slip out of your mouth when you talk, or even yawn or cough. With the advent of dental implants, great dental health can be restored without the embarrassment that often accompanied the wearing of dentures. Although various types of dental implants have been around for decades, todays technology has almost perfected the process, and they have become the chosen option for replacing missing teeth and the use of dentures.
In this article, we will discuss the top ten benefits of dental implants.
1. More pleasing appearance. Missing teeth can change the entire structure of your face, giving it a sunken look. The dental implant procedure helps to preserve bone, reducing the deterioration of the jaw structure, providing a more aesthetically pleasing appearance.
2. Easier chewing. Dentures that slip and having to chew without teeth makes eating extremely difficult. Because implants function in the same way as natural teeth, you will be able to eat anything you like without pain and without embarrassment.
3. Improved speech. Often, ill-fitting dentures slip and cause you to slur words or even mumble. You may also experience more difficulty with speaking when dentures are first placed until a proper fit is obtained. With implants you can speak with confidence.
4. Durability. Because implants are created using strong titanium posts, they are extremely durable and with proper maintenance, can last a lifetime.
5. Improved comfort. Removable dentures often fit improperly and may rub against gums, causing discomfort and even mouth sores. Since implants actually integrate into your gums, this discomfort will be eliminated.
6. Better long-term dental health. Implants have very little impact on surrounding teeth, allowing for better access between teeth than dentures, and preservation of surrounding teeth and gums, allowing for improved dental health over the long term.
7. Improved gum and teeth health. Because the implant replaces the root of your tooth, bone is better preserved around the gums. In the past, a bridge might have been used, requiring grinding of teeth on both sides. Implants eliminate that and provides better teeth and gum health.
8. Convenience. No more dentures in a cup. With implants, your teeth remain stable in your mouth, so no embarrassing incidents in public.
9. Excellent success rate. Studies show that the implant success rate is approximately ninety-eight percent.
10. Enhanced self-esteem. Perhaps one of the most significant benefits of dental implants: restoring or creating that beautiful, dazzling smile. Studies have shown that individuals with healthy smiles are more successful and lead fuller lives.
Considering the numerous benefits of dental implants, they are an excellent option for most people. Your Boulder cosmetic dentist will need to make that determination, but if you are a candidate, most people would agree: Do it!